Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Two Sisters, Two Aunts and One Cabinet Maker

Every so often, God gives you an extra special day. Today was mine and as a bonus God threw in a unexpected gift...which sweetened my soul.

For the last few weeks Lori and I travel the same roads that lead to Lake Wedowee in Alabama. However, today we brought along our two aunts--Joyce and Modree to give them the two-dollar tour and they are great fun to be around. So off we go....heading towards the lake, but first we needed to take a side road to visit Samuel the Cabinet Maker. Samuel is a small-town, quiet, man-of-few-words, but takes pride in his work...kind of guy. He has a very kind and gentle spirit that exudes the saying..."preach Christ at all times, use words IF necessary." This is probably an acurate portrait of him.

Today, we went to view his work of the bathroom and kitchen cabinets. Amazing Work! It truly was fabulous. He was greatly pleased that we were pleased. A few moments later, we walked outside when he came around another direction. We met at Lori's car; Samuel handed me a CD case....

I said, "Samuel, what's this?"

"It's a CD I made in memory of your daughter." The countenance on his face spoke volumes.

I was immediately touched by his kindness of wanting to do something special to show he cared about our loss.

"I knew you sang in a group, but are you also singing solo?" I said.

"Yes, but my kids are singing with me some." he said with fatherly pride.

"What kind of music do you sing?" one of my aunts asked.

Samuel cocked his head laughing as he said..."I call it 'Redneck Gospel' singing."

You know what Samuel--I thought later....I call it...'Having A Heart for God'.....


The CD is awesome, but most important is having another 'treasured moment' to tuck away. When you're given these treasures...make sure you bring them out from time to time and remember the moment. For me, it's a reminder that God uses an ordinary carpenter to do a very special deed.....

Hmmmm...I wonder where God got that idea to use a carpenter?

No comments:

Post a Comment